The annual reports of the Geological Survey and other component bodies at various times, Museum of Practical Geology, Government School of Mines and of Science Applied to Arts (Royal School of Mines) Mining Record Office were issued as an appendix to the parent organization (Science and Art Department etc.) and were published for the reporting years 1854 to 1896. For the year 1892 the annual report contained a section headed 'Record of geological work' giving a more detailed account of geological work done. This was supeceded by a new format: Summary of Progress of the Geological Survey for 1897.