A series of editions under the same title was issued from the first edition in 1948 to the fourth edition 1968. Published by the HMSO, they were jointly compiled by the Road Research Laboratory and the Geological Survey and Museum/Institute of Geological Sciences. They comprise lists of the larger roadstone quarries and gravel pits. Later editions included a list of sources of road-making slags.