The Museum of Practical Geology opened its doors for the first time in 1851. In 1935 it moved to South Kensington where it stayed as part of the Survey until the move of the headquarters to Keyworth when ownership of the Museum (now known as the Geological Museum) was passed to the Natural History Museum. This series is a set of general guides to the museum and published between 1851 to 1974.